Go to our Triathlon Fundraising Page to donate to the cause!

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Spirit Cape

Once a week at our Group Training Sessions, the team gathers for two small moments together. The first one is our "Mission Moment," where someone speaks to the team about their connection to the cause. It's always touching and inspirational, and an important reminder that yes, we're there to learn how to do a triathlon, but there's a much greater reason and importance to what we're doing.

The second moment is the presentation of the "Spirit Cape," which is awarded to a member of the team who "exemplifies the spirit and mission of Team in Training." It's usually presented by a mentor, and last Saturday, my mentor Ashley presented it to me! I was surprised, honored and humbled to receive it, and in all honesty, I was also really, really proud. I had arrived at the Saturday morning session with mixed feelings; it was a Brick session (bike + run), and I knew I'd only be able to do the bike portion due to my foot injury. I always feel great for the first half, and sad during the second as I miss out on a part of training. But Ashley's dedication really touched me and made me feel fantastic. As I was biking through the park, other members rode up to me and offered me congratulations, asking me questions like "Did you really shave your head for the cause?" It was a great feeling.

I don't know if there's an actual cape in other chapters, but in our NYC Triathlon chapter, it's actually a large Team in Training Shirt. Each recipient takes it home and decorates it, either with writing or some sort of bling.

Front:

Decorated across the neck are silver letters that say "SWIM * BIKE * RUN." The "Y!" is representative of the corporate Yahoo team.

Back:

I love that quotation at the top.

I am not a visually artistic person. I'm terrible at this stuff. So I decided to keep it simple and wrote a lyric on the sleeve that a very important friend and I share with each other all the time. It's from an Indigo Girls song called "Pushing the Needle Too Far."

4 comments:

  1. Congrats :) I can't think of anyone more deserving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lyric is finding all sorts of cool places to land...incomplete property law worksheets, and now - the MUCH deserved and timely awarded Spirit Cape! Congratulations, babe!! Also know, you made my world today as I read your post. (Eyes welled again. :-)) Now others, too, may take to that lyric/quote and be kept afloat by sharing it w/ someone special. :-) I must say, a great choice. :-)
    - V.I.F. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Jason! Ashley was so excited to give this to you! She was talking about it for days beforehand because she couldn't think of anyone else more deserving. Way to go!
    -Ryan
    P.S. Was your head itchy when your hair grew back? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ryan, Ashley has been such a wonderful and inspiring mentor, and it meant so much to receive it from her. She's helped both of us a ton and we are forever in her debt for it!

    My head was not itchy in the slightest. So if you're asking because you also want to shave your head, I say DO IT. I'll lend you my clippers!

    ReplyDelete